HCCS Park Slope to Replicate!!!
Dear HCCS Community,
On behalf of the entire HCCS community, I’m writing you today with a very exciting update. Based on the successes we have achieved together at HCCS, we are applying to replicate our model and open a second elementary school - HCCS Dyker Heights!
Our application is due to New York State Education Department on August 16th, 2018. If approved, our proposed charter school would open in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn (District 20), in the Fall of 2019. Our replication school will share the same mission and educational model of HCCS. We hope to change the lives of even more students and families by expanding the reach of our impact!
We are relying on our existing school community for your support and feedback, because you know our existing model best! We need your support and are deeply interested in hearing from you. As we design every element of this “sister school”, we want to know from you: What suggestions would you like us to consider for our new school? What has made your child's time at HCCS unique?
There are so many quick and easy ways to have your voice heard and demonstrate your support for a second school. Here are a few ways:
- You can visit our website for the proposed school here - https://www.hccsdh-nys.org/. Check back regularly for events where you can learn more about the school and share your feedback.
- Once on our website, you can sign our online petition showing your support.
- Also on the website, you can complete our 5 minute survey and have your voice heard right away! Through the survey, you will have the chance to help us design our second school.
- Like our HCCS Facebook! We will soon be posting questions about the new school, HCCS Dyker Heights. We’d love for you to comment on posts with your ideas and/or support! https://www.facebook.com/HellenicClassicalCharterSchool/
- Volunteer to help us talk with community leaders and residents about our successful model and how it can help students!
Thank you in advance for your support!
Volunteers are needed so if you'd like to help or have any questions, please do not hesitate to email myself (firstname.lastname@example.org), Joy Petrakos (email@example.com) or Dena Capetanakis (firstname.lastname@example.org).
HCCS Dyker Heights 6/26/18 Informational Meeting Update:
Thank you to everyone who attend last night's community outreach meeting held at the Dyker Heights Brooklyn Public Library. It was a tremendous success.
Please check back regularly for events where you can learn more about the school and share your feedback. Also, please remember to visit our website for the proposed school here - https://www.hccsdh-nys.org/.
Visit HCCS on Facebook
Like us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/HellenicClassicalCharterSchool/?fref=ts
Dear HCCS Families,
It is with great pleasure and excitement that I welcome you and your children back for the 2017-2018 school year. If you are new to our school, I would like to welcome you to the greatest school in the world!
I am proud to announce that for the third year in a row The New York State Education Department has identified our school as a “Reward School”. A Reward School is a school that has made the most progress and/or a school that has the highest achievement in the state without significant gaps in student achievement between subgroups. Congratulations to our entire amazing HCCS family for achieving this recognition!
Our goal is to bring our students to the level of college and career ready. I encourage all our families to log on to the web site engageny.org. On this web site you will find a parent and family section that not only informs you of the new initiatives but also includes educational activities you can do with your children that are related to the Common Core Standards. You will also find guides to the standards, as well as videos and information on how to interpret the standards and the recent state test results and score reports.
We are planning a year filled with engaging standards-based work in our beautiful new school building. Many new initiatives will be announced in later weeks such as our recent notification that we are once again accepted into The Carnegie Hall Musical Explorers, The NYC Ballet Nutcracker Program, the middle school STEM initiative entitled, Urban Advantage, and many more. Our school calendar, including upcoming events and celebrations will posted on our school web site and emailed to you.
Please do not hesitate to call us should you ever have any questions. Together we will provide an extraordinary learning environment and education for our children.
Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1415030405395382/
PTA Meetings 2017-2018
- Thursday, June 6th 8:30am
The HCCS Class of 2018 and their High Schools
CONGRATULATIONS to our 8th Graders!
15% of our 8th graders were offered admission to a Specialized High School
- Brooklyn Latin High School
- Brooklyn Technical High School
- Staten Island Technical High School
- Stuyvesant High School
New York City High Schools:
- Bard High School
- Brooklyn College Academy
- Brooklyn Collegiate Preparatory HS
- Brooklyn High School of the Arts
- City Polytechnic HS of Engineering, Architecture and Technology
- Digital Arts & Cinema Technology HS
- Edward R. Murrow High School
- Expeditionary Learning School
- FDR STEAM-Multimedia Design
- Fort Hamilton Dramatic Arts Academy
- Fort Hamilton High School
- Fort Hamilton Honors
- High School of Arts & Technology
- High School of Fashion Industries
- HS of Telecommunication, Arts & Tech
- High School for Medical Professions
- John Jay School for Law
- Lyons Community School
- Midwood Liberal Arts and Science Institute
- Midwood Humanities Institute
- Midwood Medical Science Institute
- Millennium Brooklyn High School
- New Utrecht H.S. Medical Program
- N.Y.C. Museum School
- Park Slope Collegiate
- Secondary School for Journalism
- Urban Assembly New York Harbor School
- Williamsburg HS of Architecture and Design
- Williamsburg HS of Arts & Technology
- Young Women’s Leadership School/Queens
Catholic High Schools
- Bishop Kearney H.S.
- Bishop Loughlin Memorial H.S.
- Christ the King H.S.
- Cristo Rey H.S.
- Fontbonne Hall Academy
- LaSalle Academy
- Nazareth Regional H.S
- Notre Dame H.S.
- St. Edmunds Prep
- St. Johns Prep
- St. Joseph H.S.
- St. Saviour H.S.
- Xaverian H.S.
- Xavier H.S.
* As of date, our students have also received over $413,600 in scholarships for Catholic High Schools.
*Round Two Results Date TBA
Pre-K OrientationHellenic Classical Charter School
6th Grade OrientationHellenic Classical Charter School
First Day of SchoolHellenic Classical Charter School
Kindergarten OrientationHellenic Classical Charter School
Applications and Lottery Update
Applications for the upcoming 2018-2019 school year are available under the admissions tab.
Please note, our lottery was held on Friday, April 13, 2018.
For information on your child's application status, please contact Mrs. Joyce Liappas at 718.499.0957.
HCCS named High Achieving and High Progress Schools as Reward Schools in New York State
The Hellenic Classical Charter School was named as 1 of the 155 high performing schools in New York State. We are proud of the accomplishments of our students, and teachers. Hellenic is truly an exemplar school.
To read more about this wonderful news, please follow the link below to the New York State Education Department's web site:
HCCS deemed Reward School for fourth consecutive year!
HCCS deemed Reward School for fourth consecutive year!
Reward Schools are either schools that have high achievement or schools that have made the most progress in the state and do not have significant gaps in student achievement between subgroups.student progress as deemed by the NYS Education Department.
HCCS featured in the book "The Best Elementary Schools in New York City".
HCCS is featured in the book New York City's Best Public Elementary Schools: A Parent's Guide 4th Edition.
"HCCS is a winning, spirited school where kids are motivated to participate wholeheartedly. Children study the world through the rich lens of Greek language and culture..."
HCCS congratulates Faye Michalakos - recipient of the NYC DOE Big Apple Award Teacher.
Faye Michalakos, a veteran teacher at HCCS, was awarded the NYC DOE Big Apple Award Teacher by NYC Chancellor Carmen Farina.
The Big Apple Awards is a citywide recognition program that celebrates the educators of New York City who inspire students, model great teaching, and enrich their school communities. By honoring the success of these teachers, the NYC Department of Education recognizes the countless teachers who go above and beyond to serve our students and families.
Congratulations to Faye and our entire staff of amazing teachers.
HCCS - Notice of School Board Meeting
Monday, June 25, 2018 at 9:30am
Location 1: HCCS, 646 5th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11215
Location 2: (Via Skype):
Please note that individuals who wish to have speaking time, or to place an item on the agenda, must submit their request in writing no later than forty-eight (48) hours prior to the meeting, or Friday, June 22 at 9:30am. Requests should be submitted to the school office.
Materials that will be reviewed by the School Board and subject to vote and/or adoption are available before the meeting in the school office.